Back end system
•Integration of key business process from end user
through original supplier that provide products, services
and information that add value for customers.
•Some of world class companies such as Dell computer
have superb supply chain with innovation application.
Demand driven supply sources
Push versus pull based supply chain models:
inventory based stock based
produce to order
• Basically , any components of a computer system that
can be touched is a hardware.
• To set up a e-commerce business,we need a WebSite.And,to set up a Web site we need Hardware. • The hardware required to set up e-commerce is almost
similar to our Personal Computers.The additional
Devices required are Router and Networking (TCP/IP)
• The computers used to set up e-commerce is known as
• Picture of the first web-server:
The world's first web server, a NeXT Computer workstation with Ethernet, 1990, the case label reads: "This machine is a server. DO NOT POWER IT DOWN!!"
The inside and front of a Dell PowerEdge web server, a computer designed for rack mounting
• Multiple web servers may be used for a high traffic website, here four SunFire X4200 servers are installed together
• A web server is a hardware device that is used to host websites upon it, in this case, an ecommerce website.
• Everything that makes up a website such as HTML files, databases and images will be stored on this web server in ordered to display the end product.
• Web servers can run on either Windows or Linux server operating systems, this is the server software to manage the website and server. • Comparing a computer with a web server, you’d find out that they are both made up the same components however the web server will consist of much better and faster components (processor and
• Smaller businesses may consider buying or renting a web server from an outsourced company that offers hosting instead of owning their own server, this can be good if the company is small and is on a low budget.
Networking (TCP/IP) and Ports
• TCP/IP is main protocol used to transfer data over a
network such as the internet!
Networking (TCP/IP) and Ports
• Transfer Control Protocol also known as TCP is a
wired connection between different systems on the
• Anyone using the internet to access the website will
use TCP/IP protocol to access it.
• The IP within TCP/IP stands for Internet Protocol
and each device on a network will have its very
own functioning IP Address.
• Ports allow a device with an IP address to access
another device with another IP address.
Choosing the Hardware for an E-Commerce system
• Hardware platform:
–Underlying computing equipment that system uses to
achieve E-Commerce functionality.
–Enough platform capacity to meet peak demand without
•Important to understand the different factors that
affect speed, capacity, and scalability of a site
Right-Sizing Your Hardware Platform: The
• Demand is the most important factor affecting speed
• Factors in overall demand:
–Number of simultaneous users in peak...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document