NETW410 Week 4 Lab
Lab 4: Connecting Point A to Point B
1. How should an Internet connection be made for the current campus? Why did you select this option over the others? AT&T is the carrier providing service to the existing campus as well as the new campus. Examine the offerings for Internet access to select the one that should be used. The internet connection should be made through DSL connection with Category 5 CM-rated UTP cable for the current campus because this will increase security ant reliability.
2. How should the existing and new campus locations be connected to each other? The should be connected to each other by a 2.4GHz 802.11b open wireless network whose access points are mounted on overhead light poles outside of each building.
3. Should the two locations share an Internet connection? Yes
4. Compare the advantages, disadvantages, and cost of fiber optic cable, 5 GHz wireless bridges, and free space optics as a means to interconnect the campus buildings to the IT wing of the Administration Building. Fiber optic cable, 5 GHz wireless bridges are an inexpensive and reliable way to interconnect the campus buildings to the IT wing of the Administration Building
5. What would be required to interconnect the existing campus and the new campus to each other using fiber optic cable laid within the hiking trail right of way? A single IP addressing scheme for the entire campus and a open wireless network.
6. Examine the data shown on the DSL Line Utilization Report found in Doc Sharing. This is a typical bandwidth utilization report for the ADSL line used to connect each building on the campus to the Internet. Keeping in mind that there are eight of these DSL lines connecting the campus buildings to the Internet; will a higher speed connection be needed when these are consolidated into one connection? Yes
7. If the two locations share an Internet connection, will a single connection...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document